An absurd gremlin. I finally found a marginally-useful iOS widget... and it wouldn't work -- it wouldn't update. The App Background Whatever was set correctly, I updated & rebooted, etc. Nothing.
Somehow this solution, changing the system language, then changing it back, worked.
@richText Holy smokes! Thank you for tracking that down. My stacks will sometimes lock up in this way and it’s been driving me bonkers. Will have to try this solution next times it happens.
@fgtech I read it and that “that’s absurd,” but having tried everything else, I had nothing to lose. Sure enough it worked. YMMV, I’m sure!